[lbo-talk] V Crisis Attacks Greg Wilpert, Etc.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 16 19:19:36 PDT 2004

[Our interlocutor Lacny expressed himself on this matter with his usual delicacy (but not, I think, inaccurately) some months ago. --CGE]

From: John Lacny <jlacny at earthlink.net> Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 15:22:20 EST

...The ISO's hemming-and-hawing about how there needed to be a third force against "both" Aristide and the macoutes was just one more example of why trots are so annoying. Amy Wilentz, The Nation, liberal assholes -- doubly so. Of COURSE Aristide has had some failures. It just so happened that he was brought back to power after the first coup only on the condition that he implement austerity measures. He therefore had constrained political space in which to work. The Haitian left, however -- e.g., http://www.haiti-progres.com -- which had plenty of criticisms of Aristide as well, recognized a vicious coup when they saw one. Only fools think that this is about individuals. It is about the constellation of political forces, and about the fact that a government democratically elected by the vast majority of the impoverished people of Haiti was in danger of being overthrown by the re-emergent macoutes. If anything, Aristide can be faulted for not being harsh ENOUGH with these scum -- though considering that his government was more or less militarily defenseless against the onslaught, it's hard to criticize him even on that, and I'm not about to second guess him from inside the belly of the beast, either..."