[lbo-talk] Tin Man May Declare "Martial Law"

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 17:35:04 PDT 2004

That sound you hear is the insurgents laughing themselves silly.

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- In one of the deadliest days in months here, two car bombs killed 41 Iraqis and injured at least 142, prompting the interior minister to announce the government could declare martial law if violence continues on this scale....

Following the day's violence, Falah al-Naqib promised that his Interior Ministry, responsible for policing and security, is doing its best to defuse the situation by increasing its task force in the streets, as are other government agencies. He acknowledged the attacks are becoming more deadly and random day by day and are sowing fear among ordinary Iraqis.

"If I see more measures such as the one [Thursday], we will take every measure, including martial law," Mr. Naqib said. "This is the security of our country and the lives of our people."

http://online.wsj.com/article_print/0,,SB108745202420539834,00.html