[lbo-talk] Re: Conspiracy Theories

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 21 16:10:56 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Brad Mayer writes:

> Frankly, we should only care about the politics of conspiracy
theorizing, and not as much about the particulars. It is impossible to gauge the truth value of plausible-sounding conspiracy theories

Actually, pragmatism (which you reference below) gives a fine method to gauge the truth of conspiracy theories. As James wrote:

"The essential thing is the process of being guided. Any idea that helps us to deal . . . with either the reality or its belongings . . . and adapts our life to reality's whole setting, will . . . hold true of that reality."

> at the same time it is just as impossible to categorally deny
to possibility of conspiracy - not even a Chip Berlet can take such a ludicrous position.

True. Just as it is impossible to deny categorically the possibility of the existence of God. But the question remains: what advantage is gained by believing in conspiracy theories or God?

> The only concern, then, should be for the politics and the only
requirement should be that any connect-the-dots scheme should sound politically plausible.

Plausibilty is not the issue; usefulness is.

> "Who will the conspiracy theory damage?" is the only real question.

With respect, I think you have it backwards: the question is "Do conspiracy theories help those who advocate them?"

> We have just seen a dramatic example of the political power of
conspiracy theory, one that launched 140,000 heavily armed soldiers in an invasion of another country on the other side of the world. American popular support for that invasion rested and continues to rest on the idea that Saddam was in cahoots with Osama on 911.

What launched America's attack was a lie told by an administration that was believed by a gullible nation. The construction of the American character demands an enemy: Communism, queers, Saddam. We define ourselves in opposition to what is UnAmerican (as defined by our leaders). If the power of a conspiracy theory were so strong that it caused Americans to buy the war, then when it collapsed Americans should have reversed course. They didn't. Something else must be at play here.

> WHY NOT propagate plausible conspiracy theories that can do
damage to our political enemies, especially to the neocon fiends who comprise the Bush Gang? Huumm?

What evidence is there that the propogation of these theories do this damage?

> Especially when one regards the incorrigibly pragmatic American mind,
in its cultural genesis incapable of systemic thought and therefore most inclined to thinking in conspiratorial terms.

Again with respect, I am not sure this is an accurate depiction of the American mind (or a correct understanding of pragmatism). I do find (warning: generalization ahead) straight white males to be paranoid, but I am not sure if this paranoia is a) proof of Freud's theory that paranoia is the result of repressed homosexual desires; b) white males' valid fear of losing power/status that has been wrongly accorded to them; or c) a combination of both a and b.

> Conspiracy theories are a natural for the degenerate American culture.

Conspiracy theories are what serve to degenerate American culture.

> Conspiracy theories can and should be used.

Your argument seems to be that since American culture is awash in conspiracy theories, one might as well use them. By the same logic one could argue that because America is awash in illegal handguns, one should make use of them as well.

I would make the counter-suggestion that it might be better to rid the country of both illegal handguns and conspiracy theories.

> (Regarding a Berlet conspiracy theory) But who knows, and more
pertinently, who cares?

Exactly. And if one doesn't care in his case, why should any other matter?

> This should be taken, and denounced, at face value, for what it is:
a sadly misguided and even twisted politics that is mostly useless or even harmful to the Left.

First, let me say that this discussion is the first time I have heard of Chip Berlet.

Secondly, I (for one) am turned off by conspiracism in the left. I find it serves no useful purpose. As a queer I am constantly having to battle conspiracy theories about what queers are doing to America, its culture and its children. Having (alleged) allies trafficking in this tripe only makes my job harder since its the right can point to these idiocies and say: "Well, the left thinks conspiracy theories are valid. What makes us wrong?"

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister