[lbo-talk] Re: Study: Many Brits think Palestinians occupy Israeli territory

Simon Huxtable jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 22 03:57:46 PDT 2004

Sunil/Dissident Voice <dissidentvoice at earthlink.net>:

> Coverage of the Israel-Palestine conflict is, on the
> whole, better in the
> UK than the US. Yet, if Britons are as ignorant
> about the conflict as this
> study suggests, you know the level of ignorance
> among Americans is far
> worse. The relevance of this is of course obvious to
> those of us involved
> in the struggle for justice for Palestinians, here
> in the country that's
> Israel's paymaster.
>
> -- Sunil

Coverage of the conflict on British television (which is where most people get their information - if at all) ranges from poor (ITV's news from ITN) to good (BBC news) to excellent (Channel 4 news from ITN).

Orla Guerin's reporting for the BBC is particularly good and is frequently critical of Israeli policy (see http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1183300,00.html).

Though I don't have cable and don't get the chance to see it that often, Sky News strikes me as critical, too.

I just don't think a lot of people are willing to care about this issue. I don't think they're willing to read past the first paragraph of an article and I don't think they're prepared to look beyond images. It simply doesn't affect them.

Finally, once the facts have been ignored, I think there's an element of racism in attributing violence to the rapacious Muslim hordes rather than the Israelis (who, even if they're not entirely like 'us', at least have similar coloured skin).

Simon