[lbo-talk] ooops

kjkhoo at softhome.net kjkhoo at softhome.net
Tue Jun 22 09:11:18 PDT 2004

At 8:05 pm -0400 21/6/04, Doug Henwood wrote:
>[Sorry, I screwed up and copied from the wrong spreadsheet - GDP per
>capita in 1995 U.S. dollars converted at market exchange rates.
>Here's what I'd promised, GDP per capita at purchasing power parity
>exchange rates. Ok, so the EU is as poor as Mississippi, though that
>sure isn't the way it seems. We have more Hummers, for sure.]

Doug,

Can we have the comparisons for US states?

But while this is "fun", it really doesn't mean one hell of a lot for the countries clustered around the top -- although at the wider margins it speaks to the issues of power and wealth in the world. Thus, while French, trying to live in the US at the PPP GDP/cap of France, would not be having it too good, doing so in France has a different cast to it. We do need some other measures of inter-country comparisons at the mean that better capture the standard and quality of life, especially for the block of countries that fall within 25% of the US GDP/cap. HDI tries to do this to some extent, but while the intention is great, I'm not too sure about the execution. Perhaps a HDI and a humans security index (HSI?) in combination -- as HDI does already take into account GDP/cap?

kj khoo