Nader Goes Buchananite (Re: [lbo-talk] Vote Nader/Camejo 2004!

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Jun 22 11:52:08 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck0" <chuck at mutualaid.org>

Nathan Newman wrote:
> How Nader supporters can make common cause with the Buchanan-related
Reform
> Party, which has given Nader its endorsement as well, is beyond me.

-Fair enough criticism, Nathan, but how is Kerry going to dismantle the -borders and INS? Is he going to take a strong public stand in favor of -free immigration and the rights of undocumented workers?

Chuck, I don't have to defend every position of Kerry. I admit he's the lesser evil and will vote for him as better than Bush.

It's the third party people who have to demonstrate that their guy is pure and not merely a "lesser lesser evil," or else we are back to strategic voting, and everyone should pile back into supporting the Kerry-Defeat Bush bandwagon.

Nader is taking a position and creating alliances that will alienate large numbers of latinos and pro-immigrant progressives. If using elections to build unity within mass movements, his candidacy is thus a failure on that score as well.

What is the possible justification by third party advocates for supporting a guy who makes common cause with Pat Buchanan on ANY immigration issue?

Nathan