[lbo-talk] Re: Illinois Republican pressured wife to have public sex

Kkeane kkeane at colum.edu
Wed Jun 23 13:47:33 PDT 2004

Paul Childs wrote:

> >then (like hitch) they complain that it's about "honesty", when such
> >things become irrelevant in policy discussions, because, you know,
> >sometimes we just disagree, but all this nasty sex stuff is bad bad bad
> >wrong wrong wrong.

> > right?

> Well, you should be right, and in fact I wish you were. From my
> perspective what two consenting adults want to with each other sexually is
> entirely their own business, not mine or anyone elses. But when whirling
> dirt bags like the repugs down there, and the conservatives up here, start
> making that consensual activity a policy issue by legally stigmatizing the
> LGBT community or making sure they're treated as second class citizens
> (like, no marriage but civil unions) then their behavior, or more
> accurately, their double standards, are fair game.

> I dunno, this guy may not be like that personally and this may be guilt by
> association. But his party and his president are sure as hell like that,
> so maybe he should be more careful about who he chooses for friends before
> he starts claiming the moral high ground.

Oh, he is -sooooo- 'like that'. And Bill Bennett endorsed him. I find him and his politics creepy.

He is a Catholic who goes to church every day, or so he claims.

Have a look at his platform:

http://www.jackryan2004.com/issues/

JACK RYAN ON THE DEFENSE OF MARRIAGE

"I believe that marriage can only be defined as that union between one man and one woman. I am opposed to same-sex marriages, civil unions, and registries. I believe that we are all equal before God and should be before the law. Homosexuals deserve the same constitutional protections, safeguards, and human dignity as every American, but they should not be entitled to special rights based on their sexual behavior.

--->>>"The breakdown of the family over the past 35 years is one of the root causes of some of our society's most intractable social problems-criminal activity, illegitimacy, and the cyclical nature of poverty. (!!)

"As an elected leader, my interest will be in promoting laws and educating people about the fundamental importance of the traditional family unit as the nucleus of our society.

"In the wake of the recent Massachusetts State Supreme Court ruling that has spawned similar lawsuits in other states, it seems likely that defending traditional marriage and codifying that defense will be required at the federal level. As such, as a United States Senator, I would support legislation such as Senator Bill Frist's Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), provided the language remains clear in the defining of traditional marriage and protecting the traditional family unit."

When he announced his candidacy, he described himself as 'more conservative than Reagan'.

Don't worry - he doesn't have a prayer.