[lbo-talk] Re: Nader Goes Buchananite

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jun 24 07:12:00 PDT 2004

snit snat wrote:

>And, even if Nader did manage to swing the election, does anyone
>really think he'd do anything but become just like the rest?

This is another aspect of these chimerical individualist campaigns - if, by some fluke he should win, what then? No allies on Congress, no instituional support among the population, but lots of enemies all around. What then?

Andy Kopkind once told me that, despite his public writing in support of Jerry Brown, he "never liked" Brown. If Brown were to win the Dem nomination, he said, it would destroy the Democratic Party, and if Brown were to win the presidency, it would destroy America. Which was why he was for Jerry Brown.

Doug