Dogville (Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Liberalism with a Fascist Face

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Jun 25 07:30:38 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Simon Huxtable" <jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com>
>Personally, I think von Trier is stupendously
>overrated, although The Kingdom does seem to suit his
>style well.
>In Dogville, he continues with the sacrificial female
>but the added twist that she turns out to be
>vengeful??? As 90 percent of British 'observational'
>comedians would say: "What's that all about?" As a
>critique of America it's impossibly weak.

But as a critique of Christianity and his meek sacrifice on the cross, it's brilliant and thought-provoking, especially in a time of the Last Passion of the Christ.

I was stunned at how few reviewers discussed the clear allegory of the Kidman character as Christ, how at first she goes along passively with all the abuse she gets, including HAVING TO DRAG A LARGE OBJECT AROUND, and then is ready to forgive them all when her "Father" shows up to rescue her, but instead reconsiders it and takes revenge.

Which considering the whole Rapture and destruction of unbelievers sentiment in much of modern fundamentalism, it's an interesting chord to hit.

Nathan