[lbo-talk] Don't Mess With Mom

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Fri Jun 25 10:07:49 PDT 2004

Just some data points on this: looks like there's a growing body of research linking abnormal brain development to child abuse, specially abnormalities of the amygdala and hippocampus.

Google search on "amygdala child abuse": http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=amygdala+child+abuse

So it seems that the debate has been resolved in a good materialist way: nurturing does affect children, but that's because it's a material phenomenon. The genetic compotent determines the set of *possible developments*, but the contingencies of child rearing determines the specific *actual development*. The irony here is that certain environmental factors may have irreversible effects, while genetic factors account for the plasticity of childhood development.

Curtiss, without background in biology, but having a personal interest in such research.