[lbo-talk] Comment on F-9/11 - Reality Check

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jun 28 08:56:50 PDT 2004

I agree. but only for practical reasons: through experience, I've learned it's not good to ride that roller coaster.

It will evaporate, but it will work on some of the marginals. It will work on new voters. And you know what it does most of all: it has given us a way to all get in a room together and experience something together. now we know we're not alone. we all feel a little more empowered to speak up. we have that with lbo. most people don't. the experience for people was, oh my god. there are other people out there who feel the same way i do. and they just want to talk about it. they NEED to talk about it. the also need to do something.

i went to a moveon meetup. check out moveon to find one in your area. they're parties at bars, restaurants, homes to get people together for the movie. so you hate moveon, whatever. don't go. but for those of you who want to see Shrub defeated: go. Even if you're voting Nader: go.

The thing about the meet up is that people were blown away by how many people want to DO SOMETHING. they were overwhelmed by the turn out. people wanted to go and talk. i stayed to help clean up and post reports later. it was just amazing. i haven't seen so many people energized since we a entire sleepy rural town got off their asses to fight off the siting of a nuclear waste dump.

go.

moveon isn't going to evaporate after the election, either. if we want to ride the wave of people getting involved, we'd better make connections with the kinds of people that go to moveon meetups.

go.