[lbo-talk] Comment on F-9/11

R rhisiart at charter.net
Mon Jun 28 09:36:24 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jon Johanning" <jjohanning at igc.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2004 9:33 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Comment on F-9/11

On Jun 27, 2004, at 11:48 PM, R wrote:

> if this board is going to have a discussion on race -- which i can't
> imagine
> happening soon since i get the impression most members are from the
> dominant
> culture or connect with it one way or another

\By which, do you mean that people from the "dominant culture" (i.e., whites) have nothing to contribute to such a discussion, or that we (since I belong to that category) have a habit of squelching such discussion?

not at all. depends on the person. i'd just like to see "minority" races lead off, if they're interested in such a discussion. there's a lot to be said if people want to; and a lot to be learned. i'd rather not have a "discussion" of race all by whites, for instance. we can't have a meaningful discussion without open participation by all. and the experience and knowledge of "minority" members.

it's difficult to know if there's something you'd find "new" because who knows what you've already heard?

\I for one would like there to be an extended discussion on this important subject; I'm all ears. I not only agree with everything in your post, but I have heard it many times, for quite a few years. Is there anything new to be said on the subject? That's what I'd like to see.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A gentleman haranguing on the perfection of our law, and that it was equally open to the poor and the rich, was answered by another, 'So is the London Tavern.' -- "Tom Paine's Jests..." (1794); also attr. to John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) by Hazlitt