[lbo-talk] Green Party convention to the real world: Drop Dead! (Frontlines coverage)

Brad Mayer Bradley.Mayer at Sun.COM
Mon Jun 28 12:46:44 PDT 2004

"Kerry may not be Bush but he's no progressive. He is not presidential at all. I just think George Bush is a fascist."

— David Cobb

Calling Bush a "fascist" is precisely the sort of backdoor support for the Democrats (in this case ideological support) that Frontlines was referring to. Cobb is realling saying: "Kerry, unlike Bust, is not a fascist" (whatever else Kerry might be).

The "fascist" thing was a favorite scare tactic of the old, pre-CoC blowup, CPUSA back in Reagantime. The Bush gang contains significant protofascist tendencies that have evolved qualitatively beyond those of Reaganism, but that is not the same as the thing itself. We are probably still a generation (at the most, though) away from actual fascism. Depends on how quickly US imperialism falls on its face. But fascism is inevitable so long as the left ties itself to the Democratic Party.

-Brad Mayer