[lbo-talk] Green Party convention to the real world: Drop Dead! (Frontlines coverage)

Brad Mayer Bradley.Mayer at Sun.COM
Mon Jun 28 13:08:42 PDT 2004

Bowers is obviously overjoyed that the Greens will have no impact on his rightwing party of choice:

"As for the Green party, they seem to have acquitted themselves nicely. They will probably face some defection over the nomination of Cobb, but if they had endorsed Nader they would have been destroyed. This will render them marginal, but it does show their willingness to compromise with Democrats, which might guarantee their long term survival."

As a 'long term' barrier to the development of a growing independent progressive party, he means. It's best at this point to march around the whitebread, pothead Greens.

You can be sure that my disappointment is very minimal, as it was easy in the extreme to predict the near total capitualtion of the left, over two years ago.

It looks like we are in for yet another lurch rightward over the next four years at least, as Bushes' initiatives are confirmed and consolidated under a Kerry Presidency.

Chalk up another audacious victory for the Far Right, gratis the clueless American Left.

But I always hope I am wrong in my pessimism, and one day I will be. Soon, I hope - like in the next four years.

Gee, where's the antiwar movement? Bowers' could title his next piece: "We Can Finally Stop Worring About The Antiwar Movement". -Brad Mayer -------------------------------------------- We Can Finally Stop Worrying About Nader by Chris Bowers

http://www.mydd.com/