[lbo-talk] Horowitz's Desperation

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Mon Jun 28 13:39:22 PDT 2004

Brian Dauth pointed towards David Horowitz's screed at http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=13998 and I feel compelled to toss in on some points myself:

(1) "What is momentous in the Moore phenomenon is that the Democratic Party - or at least its intellectual wing and its activist core - has embraced a piece of Marxist agitprop as its most potent election campaign spot."

Marxist agitprop? I like Moore very much, but all I can say, "Gawd, I wish!"

(2) "In other words, it's "blood for oil," the slogan made popular by the North Korea-aligned Workers World Party which through its political front International ANSWER was responsible for all the early mass demonstrations against the war in Iraq."

How cute is what Horowitz *doesn't* say, which is that when a proposition P is uttered by some group G whom Horowitz holds to be Very Bad (tm), therefore that proposition P automatically becomes a Very Bad Thing (tm). I look forward to Horowitz denouncing members of the WWP and ANSWER for stating publically that the world is round. (NB: I'm neither backing the "blood for oil" claim, nor that Moore's thesis can be condensed to such, only savoring the stupidity of Horowitz's inneuendo)

(3) "As a result of the Left's propaganda war against the war, the American government is now almost as hamstrung as it was in the post-Vietnam era - and until the War on Terror. It realistically cannot raise another 100,000 troops - even if they are necessary to pacify Iraq or deal with other terrorist threats - without threatening to bring the political house down."

This one always tickles me pink (or Red). Anti-war sentiments have impeded the prosecution of the war. Exactly how does this happen? It's a little like the theory of forms: absolutely immaterial forms determinine matter by, uh, *participating* in them.

(4) "In fact, we know that there were WMDs (and have found some)."

Serves me right for not keeping my eyes on Fox News 24/7.

Curtiss