[lbo-talk] Re: Comment on F-9/11 and racism

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Tue Jun 29 07:22:54 PDT 2004

John Thornton wrote:
>Do police pull
>white people over just for driving a Mercedes? (etc.)

So if we were all equal--we'd all be pulled over on a whim? Or all treated like shit? Or all told we are worthless? How do I benefit in general as a white person if someone else gets screwed in these numerous ways? Except for the hiring example--wherein even the most basic working class analysis will show you that unity across races is better than division for white folks--these examples show pretty paltry benefits; what happens is someone else is treated worse than I am, the whole society founders, and I as a mostly euro-descended person get to be grateful I'm not a shade darker rather than waking up to the scam. White skin privilege is *deliberately* overrated, my friend.

rhisiart at charter.net writes:

>jenny, "B." just posted a message about the most recent CBS - NYT poll.
>the poll said shrub's approval rating was at 42 percent. despite that:
>
>"Kerry had 45 percent support and Bush by 44 percent in
>the poll. In a three-way matchup, Kerry and Bush were
>still running even while independent Ralph Nader (news
>- web sites) was at 5 percent."
>
>deduct from kerry's support the minority folks and then tell me that whites
>in general are able to see through their illusions, particularly where
>race is concerned.

This is the kind of arguing that made me think this thread would be pointless, but here goes. The beginning of this mini-argument was that Charles thought white folks might have some potential. You said really? With so much to benefit? I said, yes, really, cause the benefits are mostly illusory and outweighed by the costs. Now you respond to me by saying, but they DON'T see it. But I didn't make that claim; I made the claim that there's a basis for seeing through the illusions.

Getting back to Moore's film--one reading of the film is that he's showing how it was racism that allowed the Bush cabal to take over (in the Florida election section) and look where that got us.

Jenny Brown