[lbo-talk] We Who?

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Tue Jun 29 12:40:41 PDT 2004

> shrub is 100 percent white america; your fellow
> yalie. he and his pals are our doo doo and we need to clean it up.

Ah, that fateful, fictional, ever-catastrophic "we". "We" don't run things in the US, only a tiny elite does that -- or has ever done that. But no collective guilt could ever be collective enough for justice. Something similar is probably true of gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and the countless other sites of identity-politics out there today.

The paradox is that when you look closely enough at micropolitics (who gets to be what), it turns into consumer culture (who actually gets what); look closely enough at consumerism, and it turns into geopolitics (who produces what). And the dialectical twist of lemon is that geopolitics, at its outer limit, turns right back into micropolitics. It's not so much a circle as a kind of self-propelling spiral. Like a Slinky with an attitude.

-- DRR