[lbo-talk] culture of poverty

Gary? sladeg at verizon.net
Wed Jun 30 00:04:23 PDT 2004

I thought I knew what this meant but STFW anyway and came across this:

http://www.cato.org/pubs/journal/cj16n1-1.html

[Nonemployment The percent of the adult population that is not employed has been declining for many years and, compared to many other nations, is unusually low. For lack of a better word, I will define this condition with the inelegant word nonemployment, because the word unemployment has usually been used to describe those not working but seeking work. Formally, the nonemployment rate is the percent of the civilian noninstitutional population age 16 and over that is not employed. On a national basis the nonemployment rate is 38.6 percent with a range from 31.1 percent in Nebraska to 51.7 percent in West Virginia.]

but : http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

[ THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION: MAY 2004

Nonfarm payroll employment rose by 248,000 in May, and the unemployment rate was unchanged at 5.6 percent, the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor reported today.]

Gary?

ride si sapis