[lbo-talk] hatchet job

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Wed Jun 30 10:31:40 PDT 2004

On Jun 30, 2004, at 1:24 AM, R wrote:

> a classic example of why the left/liberal wing is in a mess. a fine
> film.
> but it's not perfect. after perfunctorily genuflecting to moore,
> rothschild
> does a fatuous, nit picking hatchet job. why? among other reasons,
> because
> "open-minded republicans" might be "turned off." now that's a huge,
> vital
> constituency. aren't those termed "democrats"? oy, oy, oy.

Rothschild lands on the same point that Juan Cole did -- the rather lame attempt to bash the Bush family by tying them to the Saudis -- which I also though could have been replaced with something more consequential. But I agree that there was no point in Moore doing the cinematic/ideological equivalent of putting on a suit and tie, shaving, and loosing 50 pounds or so, just to appeal to "the middle." Mike's what he is -- take him or leave him. And by the looks of the box office, an awful lot of people are at least willing to tolerate his ideosyncrasies. I heard last night that you can't even see the film in Philly if you don't already have a reservation -- all sold out.

(BTW, saw an item the other day that Ralph the Naderster, in another of his patented smooth moves, denounced Mike as a fatso.)

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax