[lbo-talk] the Passion of Michael

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Wed Jun 30 13:01:34 PDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 at 10:07am DeborahSRogers wrote:

> --- Doug wrote:
> > In 2000, I thought Bush was
> > pretty much like his father, and that the differences between that
> > sort of Republican and Gore, while greater than zero, weren't great
> > enough to miss the opportunity to try to build an independent
> > party/movement.
>
> Who could blame you? Texas Democrats failed in their duty
> to make a loud enough ruckus to warn the rest of the party
> and the rest of the country of what those of us in Texas
> who experienced the Bush governorship knew this man was
> capable of doing and who knew the money and people behind
> him. We're still living in the wake of his legacy in this
> state:

i disagree with deborah, i don't think you could have known even if you lived here. but i listen to a lot of (local) right wing radio in houston and the hardcore wingnuts really didn't like him and whined about the compromises he made on taxes, patients bill of rights, and a few other things that escape me at the moment. (there was still a nominally dumbocrat contolled leg when he was governor). it wasn't until he was the presumptive nominee of the gop that the wingnuts began to get behind him.

also, the governor of texas doesn't really do anything much. there is no cabinet style executive branch in tx. there are a series of (by design) inefficient and unempowered commissions that have six year overlapping terms that guvs appoint members to. she cannot fire them. for half of a one term guv she has a majority of someone's else appointees working for her.

> http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/2654323
>
> Ah, the legacy of "Leave No Child Behind"...

yeah, and rod paige is now secretary of education for the whole country...

-- no Onan

Truth is the most valuable thing we have - so let us economize it.

-- Mark Twain