[lbo-talk] Haiti Coup

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 1 04:44:09 PST 2004

>[lbo-talk] Haiti Coup and Left KneeJerks
>Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
>Sun Feb 29 21:53:54 PST 2004
<snip>
>The French left-wing daily "La Liberation" is now reporting that the
>gardner at Aristide's residence did report that Aristide had been
>away by force. The editorial there, on the other hand, says that
>this is a UN join French-Canadian-US force on the island now and
>that they are just assuming their responsibilities to maintain a bit
>of order on the island.
>
>I dont know if this was a coup or not. But I cant believe that
>based on the testimony of one gardner that already people are
>jumping to the conclusion that this was a coup.

If you had been paying attention to reports on and analyses of Haiti from various quarters, you would have thought that what happened yesterday was more or less predictable.

Stan Goff, "Beloved Haiti: A (Counter) Revolutionary Bicentennial," February 9, 2004: <http://www.counterpunch.org/goff02142004.html>.

***** Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:23:32 -0500 From: Institute for Public Accuracy <ipamedia at nationalpress.com> Subject: * Haiti * Corporatizing Iraq * Sharon's Wall To: public at lists.accuracy.org List-Subscribe: <mailto:sympa at lists.accuracy.org?subject=subscribe%20public> List-Archive: <http://lists.accuracy.org/lists/arc/public>

Institute for Public Accuracy 915 National Press Building, Washington, D.C. 20045 (202) 347-0020 * http://www.accuracy.org * ipa at accuracy.org ___________________________________________________

PM Monday, February 23, 2004

* Haiti * Corporatizing Iraq * Sharon's Wall

EUGENIA CHARLES-MATHURIN, eugenia at haitireborn.org MALINDA MILES, http://www.haitireborn.org Co-Director of Haiti Reborn/Quixote Center, Charles-Mathurin said today: "The United States has helped create this opposition to destabilize and undermine Haiti's nascent democracy.... The U.S. is the only party which can bring to the negotiation table these groups which include members of the CIA-linked FRAPH death squads and the former brutal army of Haiti, FAD'H, which killed over 5,000 people from 1991-1994.... President Aristide, the constitutional president, has pledged that he would step down from power when his term comes to a close. In accordance with the Haitian Constitution, he cannot run again. His commitments have been met with escalating violence by opposition members." Malinda Miles, also co-director of Haiti Reborn, is currently in Haiti. . . . *****

"Congressional Black Caucus: Bush Must Stop Haiti Coup," Thursday, February 26th, 2004: <http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/26/1612207>.

February 28, 2004 Please Distribute Widely

Dear Colleague,

Events of recent days can leave no doubt: the administration in Washington has done everything possible to topple a democratically elected government on the Caribbean island of Haiti, including economic embargo and support for a few hundred, well-armed, paramilitary death squads who have taken some of the country's major cities.

Their boss, Guy Phillippe, today told reporters that he is following Washington's lead.

"I heard the United States asked our men to stop their advance to Port-au-Prince. It's on the news on the Net," said Phillippe, according to a report by the British Press Association. "If they ask us, it's because they have a better option, option for peace, and we always give peace a chance here, so we'll wait to see for one or two days," he said. "We will keep on sending troops but we won't attack Port-au-Prince until we understand what the US means."

So there you have it. The leader of this anti-democracy band of violent thugs has spoken: He will do what Washington says.

Everything that happens next over the coming hours and days will be the direct result of signals sent by the government in Washington... just as all that has happened so far has been. It's just that, today, the leader of the anti-democracy paramilitaries admitted it in public.

Meanwhile, we bring you the historic analysis of Numa St. Louis, Haitian American radio host in Philadelphia, special to The Narco News Bulletin:

Haiti 2004: The Great Irony

In the Country's Bicentennial Year, another US-Backed Coup

http://www.narconews.com/

If you want to raise your voice and keypad, too, to be seen and heard worldwide via The Narcosphere, you are also cordially invited to support this project in Authentic Journalism. Apply for your co-publisher's account, here:

http://www.narconews.com/copublisher/application.php

>From somewhere in a country called América,

Al Giordano Publisher The Narco News Bulletin http://www.narconews.com/ narconews at hotmail.com

Narco News is supported by:

The Fund for Authentic Journalism P.O. Box 71051 Madison Heights, MI 48071 USA http://www.authenticjournalism.org

The Fund receives online donations at this web page:

http://www.authenticjournalism.org

Apply for your co-publisher's account, here:

http://www.narconews.com/copublisher/application.php

Subscribe for free alerts of new reports:

Suscríbete gratis para alertas de nuevos reportajes en español:

Inscreva-se para alertas gratuitos de reportagens do último minuto em português brasileiro: