[lbo-talk] Canadian Coffee (Was Re: Guardian on Miliband)

N P Childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 1 08:57:29 PST 2004

>missing at "pubs". However... Tim Horton's ... was the community centres I
>had been seeking. The coffee is OK, but you go for [Ah - guess it shoudl
>be I go for] over-hearing the conversations; & at different times to see
>the overflow from the churches; from the shpping etc; & the different
>locales - from rural to urban.

My personal theory is that Tim Horton's does not, in fact, sell coffee. What they sell is a highly addictive, coffee flavored stimulant. I mean, have you seen the size of the drive thru lines in the mornings? There can be other logical explanation, it's an addiction, like smokers going outside for a butt; it's not something you want to do, it's something you *have* to do.

When I worked in Nova Scotia I used to do a lot of driving, much of it at night. Every town I went to had a TH and I got to the point where I could reliably calculate how much coffee (regular, large, XL), what type of coffee (regular, mocha) how much sweetener etc. (double-double, double-triple, etc.) I would need based on how far I was going, road conditions, which highways I would be on, how long I had been up, the time I was starting the drive and what time I would be getting to bed.

It's not just coffee and donuts, it's amateur pharmacology. And as noted, they are the new meeting place for people.

Mmmmmmm, donuts.

PC

N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

e-fax 413-683-9725 _______________________________________________________ 'Gee thanks, your validation means oh, so much to me'.

-Art 'Bones' MacDesalavo