[lbo-talk] MR & "Third Worldism"

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Mon Mar 1 10:56:49 PST 2004

> Ulhas wrote:
> > I haven't recently read Sweezy's work, but I think his Theory of
> > Capitalist Development was an interesting text. But what is the
> > contemporary relevance of the MR school, considering its espousal of
> > "Third Worldism"?

MR may have opted for excessive emphasis on liberation via the 3rd World, or maybe not. But that political analysis is but one aspect of the MR tradition -- the lesser one, I'd say. If you haven't read Baran's _Political Economy of Growth_, Baran and Sweezy's _Monopoly Capital_, Braverman's _Labor and Monopoly Capital_, and John Bellamy Foster's environmental work, you are truly ignorant of what MR stands for and has achieved.

I know of no other left entity, other than Chomsky, that comes within a mile of rivaling the MR contribution to explaining the working of capitalism, both at the top and the bottom of the system.