Principled Discoursin' (was Re: [lbo-talk] BDL on Sweezy)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Mar 1 09:29:15 PST 2004

A general point. In the Marxist tradition criticism (a) assumes a given level of unity and (b) moves towards a higher level of unity. It is the chief technique by which political unity is achieved. If the critic feels animosity towards the person being criticized, then it probably is not criticism but polemics -- i.e., aimed at drawing a line along which opposing sides line up. (Or, often, simply an explosion of personal pique, which needs merely to be ignored.) _Where_ such lines should be drawn is probably one of the most 'fertile' sources of significant debate (friendly or unfriendly) on the left. For example, John Lacny in calling anti-ABBs traitors has excluded us from the left: that is not a criticism but a drawing of a sharp line of distinction between "the left" and "the enemy." We (anti-ABDs) are for John the Enemy. In a post on the marxism list I took John at his word -- i.e., assumed that he had no desire to achieve unity with the likes of me, and after referring to the CPUSA's history as being glorious though marked by many warts, observed that John was rapidly becoming nothing but a wart. If he decides he can work with anti-ABBs -- that is, if he can apologize for calling us traitors -- then I'll have to retract that snarl.

Carrol