[lbo-talk] RE: DeLong flap

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 2 11:54:08 PST 2004

10% of the world consumption of protein comes from people eating insects. How available are the canned hornets in honey?

so many cats, so few recipes... (a bumper sticker I see on my ride to work) ken

ps. has anyone been following the School Milk Programs being set up around the world? The government of China in 2000 announced a school milk program (Australia Dairy and Nestle are absolutely thrilled, as is the International Dairy Federation). The "intervention" programs are being sponsored by the FAO (trade and commodities division) and funded by the aforementioned corporations. One doesn't need to point out the relatively high rates of lactose intolerance in China. The justification: to improve bone mineral density in the Chinese population, despite the fact that the Chinese population has one of the lowest levels of osteoporosis in the world.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 1:40 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] RE: DeLong flap

T Fast wrote:

>No please, Not Doug, he will have all of us eating cosmopolitian cheese
>puffs! (which taste just like american cheese puffs only made in

I suppose that was a joke of sorts, but cheese puffs aren't terribly cosmopolitan. But one of the nice things about cuisine today is exactly how cosmpolitan it is - I can walk down Grand Street and choose among Indian, Italian, Argentine, French bistro, Polish crepes, and nouvelle Austrian. And then there's all the lovely hybridization possibilities of fusion - twenty years ago, who'd ever mix butter and soy sauce over broccoli rabe?