[lbo-talk] Sublation

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Tue Mar 2 23:01:37 PST 2004

Quoting Michael Dawson -PSU <mdawson at pdx.edu>:

> Transcendence, improvement, correction, betterment, digestion ---
> anything but "sublation!"

It's a perfectly fine word, just overused in certain contexts. An individual word is never ugly, only sentences are ugly.

"Transition", for example, is a perfectly fine word. But "The transition offense of the Portland Trailblazers" is a phrase which fills me with the unspeakable dread of an impending sub-.500 season. (Don't ask how I reconcile my California residency with my Portland sympathies. I blame The Dialectic.)

-- DRR