[lbo-talk] US bullies another whole country to silence one man

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 3 08:31:47 PST 2004

Someone just brought this article to my attention:

http://tinyurl.com/2ezlb

Lots of quotes here from FRAPH/macoute gangster Guy Philippe, talking about how he is the "chief" of the newly-restored Haitian army -- the army, once disbanded by Aristide, that never faced any external enemies of the country in recent memory, although it has done plenty of internal killing. These are my favorite paragraphs, however:

"And in the Central African Republic yesterday, government officials have asked the exiled Haitian leader to stop blaming the United States for his ouster as they work to get another country to take him.

"Aristide, who resigned Sunday and flew to the Central African Republic on a flight arranged by the U.S. government, said American troops forced him to leave Haiti -- a claim adamantly denied by U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell and other American officials.

"His claim -- made in interviews with the media, members of U.S. Congress and activists -- created diplomatic worries for his host country, where he is staying in the official residence of President Francois Bozize.

"'The authorities have already called on Aristide to remain calm, to stop making accusations against America,' Foreign Minister Charles Wenezoui said.

"'We fear that this kind of declaration compromises relations between the Central African Republic and the United States.'"

In other words, since Aristide is pretty much blowing the whole game plan by telling it like it is, the White House now pursues a two-prong strategy of saying Aristide is "crazy" (a theme that was well-tested -- and wildly successful -- in the case of Howard Dean) and also pressuring deeply impoverished host countries to get them to shut him up.

- - - - - John Lacny

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!