[lbo-talk] tinyurlers and others

Dick N. Viers kelley at pulpculture.org
Wed Mar 3 09:33:52 PST 2004

I think that tinyurl and its competitors are spawn of Beelzebub for security and other reasons. One of my clients is cleaning up after a Trojan attack using Tinyurl, for one.

Be that as it may, I don't want to spoil all the fun, so a request>

For the sake of those of us who actually want to know where the hell a link is going to direct our browser, could you _also_ pop the original link in your message, too?

If you worry that links will break, here's how to prevent that:

First don't use HTML (rich text -- anything that allows you to use bold, underlines, italics, etc. In other words. Doug has asked that everyone can the HTML)

Second, place chevrons < > around your link to keep it from breaking. Like Dougdaddy does. See his e-mail for ref.

If the issue is aesthetic, well, hey, put it in the wind, dawgz. :p

(Anyone know what Kevin Gilbertson is hoping for his tinyurl.com service? Just a good hearted soul or an aspiring dot.bomb? Just curious.)

Also, if you want to remove >'s and assorted junk from forwarded e-mail, go here: http://www.interpactinc.com/DeGarbleIt.html

It was created by our own Mark McEahern.

download it to your machine and you can bring it up whenever you'd like, without having to bookmark it or be on line.

You can also create a Macro in Word, like so:

Instructions for creating a Word 97 macro:

1. Select the macro text below, between the Sub fixmail and End Sub lines and copy it

to the clipboard by pressing Ctrl C 2. Select Tools, Macro, Macros 3. Type fixmail in the Macro name field of the Macros dialog box, then click Create. 4. Press <Ctrl>-V to paste the macro text into the macro editor. 5. Select File, Save Normal, then File, Close and File, Return to Microsoft Word.

Sub fixmail()

dowhat = wdFindStop

If Selection.Type = wdSelectionIP Then

Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory

dowhat = wdFindContinue

End If

Selection.Find.ClearFormatting

Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting

With Selection.Find

.Text = "^p"

.Replacement.Text = "@@@"

.Forward = True

.Wrap = dowhat

End With

Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll

With Selection.Find

.Text = "@@@@@@"

.Replacement.Text = "^p^p"

.Forward = True

.Wrap = dowhat

End With

Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll

With Selection.Find

.Text = "@@@"

.Replacement.Text = " "

.Forward = True

.Wrap = dowhat

End With

Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll

End Sub

Instruction for creating a Word 6 and 7 macro:

1. Select the macro text below, between the Sub Main and End Sub lines and copy

it to the clipboard by pressing <Ctrl>-C 2. Select Tools, Macro, 3. Type fixmail in the Macro Name field of the Macro dialog box, and click Create. 4. Press <Ctrl>-V to paste the macro text into the macro. 5. Select File, Close and click Yes when prompted to save the changes in the macro.

Sub MAIN

dowhat = 1 If SelType() = 2 Then

dowhat = 0 End If

EditReplace .Find = "^p", .Replace = "@@@", .Direction = 0, .ReplaceAll, .Wrap = dowhat EditReplace .Find = "@@@@@@", .Replace = "^p^p", .Direction = 0, .ReplaceAll, .Wrap = dowhat EditReplace .Find = "@@@", .Replace = " ", .Direction = 0, .ReplaceAll, .Wrap = dowhat

End Sub

Dicky :*