[lbo-talk] Milton, Pound, & Carl Overlooked Pope was

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Mar 3 08:51:36 PST 2004

____

Carrol, you are the expert, but the following you sent from Pound _is_ dreary. It sure ain't happy.

Charles ^^^^^^ From: Carrol Cox

And because that son of a bitch,

Franz Josef of Austria. . . . . . And because that son of a bitch Napoleon Barbiche... They put him on Hill 70, in a trench

dug through corpses With a lot of kids of sixteen, Howling and crying for their mamas, And he sent a chit back to his major:

I can hold out for ten minutes With my sergeant and a machine-gun.

And they rebuked him for levity. And Henri Gaudier went to it,

and they killed him, And killed a good deal of sculpture, . . . .

(Canto XVI)

-clip-

"Dreary" -- you've got to be kidding.