[lbo-talk] RE: what's it madder

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Mar 6 19:29:10 PST 2004

Joanna wrote:

>"Does anyone really believe Warren Buffett and Bill Gates are psychopaths
>and would tell them that to their face if they had the chance."
>
>Sure. I would.

The only thing the two have in common, besides wealth, is that both are respectably good bridge players. Since bridge proficiency requires maintaining good, cooperative relationships with a variety of partners, and also a high level of ethical behavior toward and psychological insight in regard to a very large number of opponents, psychopathology seems out of the question. I have never heard of, nor observed, psychopathic behavior in any good bridge player. Chess, though, is another story altogether....

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)