[lbo-talk] Hilary Putnam

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 7 09:55:14 PST 2004

Another philosopher, Hilary Putnam, offers a counterpoint to Rorty. A former Marxist-Leninst and SDS faculty advisor "connected with a Maoist group," Putnam concluded in 1972 "that I would rather be governed by Nixon than by my own ‘comrades.’" He offers a piece of wisdom for those who think revolution denotes salvation: "What is wrong with the argument that ‘it will take a revolution’ to end injustice is that revolutions don’t mean an end to injustice." (Putnam’s description of Peruvian philosopher Francisco Miro Casada gives a good idea of his current politics: "I found him a man who represents the social democratic vision in its purest form.")

"As a practicing Jew," Putnam writes, "I am someone for whom the religious dimension of life has become increasingly important." He finds in religion "a sense of human limits," the converse of "the deification of man" rejected as humanism’s great falsity. This isn’t to say Putnam is uncritical of religion. His criticism, however, is informed by recognition of alternative deficiencies:

"The sense of the sacred is not necessarily a good thing; it can lead one to do terrible things. Of course for that very reason in the nineteenth century people said we should stop believing in the sacred, and then we won’t do terrible things any more. Then we had two very atheist dictators, called Stalin and Hitler, who between them killed even more people than anyone had killed in the name of the sacred." http://www.lewrockwell.com/kantor/kantor50.html

And Libertarian Murray Rothbard on Che, The major libertarian economist, historian, and thinker Murray Rothbard described Guevara as “an heroic figure for our time” and referred to “his mighty heart.” “Ernesto Che Guevara, RIP,” Left and Right, Spring-Autumn 1967, http://www.mises.org/journals/lar/pdfs/3_3/3_3_1.pdf http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=12467