[lbo-talk] Reagan, Arms Race and Collapse of Soviet Union

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 11:21:25 PST 2004

Many on the American Right claim that it was Reagan's militaristic pressure, increased military spending (discussion of Star Wars etc), etc. that caused the collapse of the Soviet Union. The thinking goes that the Soviet Union had to spend more on military spending, couldnt afford it and this exacerbated contradictions in the Soviet Union, leading to its demise.

Now if I am not wrong the Soviet Union was actually spending relatively less on the military around that time and that Gorbachev had decided, upon the advice of top scientists, that the SU should not even compete with Star Wars.

Can anyone point me to reasonably accurate numbers regarding Soviet military spending in that period? What has been the response of the Right when confronted with this matter?

-Thomas