[lbo-talk] Re: car as status symbol (not lover!)

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Wed Mar 10 12:38:16 PST 2004

"...There are some that will give up a lot for that shiny new car..."

most definitely...but we give up a lot for other shiny new things, like housing, clothing, etc....my point is that implying that we "love" the car is putting the relationship into some kind of social ,democratic and romantic frame...how many people decided to suburbanize, build highways, destroy urban neighborhoods in favor of roads, remove public transit in favor of private, and a host of other los angelization measures that were then labeled, by advertising or PR flacks, as a "love affair with the car"...?

the fact that we shop, buy on credit and strive to keep up with what others have because it's socially acceptable doesn't imply a love affair with market values, does it? are there any other "values" to choose from on the corporate menu?

even shopping for old clothes or buying used cars doesn't change the fact that we absolutely must have clothes, and cars...where is the love? creativity can be practiced while shopping, by looking for bargains and such, but that just doesn't seem to warrant madison avenue nonsense about all of us having this collective smooch-a-thon with the private auto transit system...especially since this "lover" kills something like a hundred of us on an average day.... more on holidays... when love for the auto becomes even more passionate?

fs