[lbo-talk] Re: Reagan, Arms Race and Collapse of Soviet Union

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 13:14:14 PST 2004

--- mike larkin <mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't see how you can deny that Reagan's policies
> played the pivotal role in the collapse of the USSR,
> regardless of how you spin the numbers.

Mike, if it is true I will definitely accept it. But explain further. Given that what you say is true: that the Stinger allowed the US to shoot down Soviet aircraft and collect more intelligence (I am not sure I understand how shooting down the aircraft increased intelligence...I mean shooting down just a couple of them would allow for examination of the aircraft), how did that contribute to the downfall of the Soviet Union? And how would massive heroin abuse contribute to this? I can see that a defeat in Afghanistan might be demoralizing but did that break the Soviet Union?

-Thomas

===== <<You and me baby ain't nothin' but mammals So let's do it like they do it on the Discovery Channel>>

Bloodhound Gang, "The Bad Touch"