[lbo-talk] the gains from variety

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 11 12:15:13 PST 2004

>These "search efforts" represent a serious cost. John Helliwell, an
>economist
>who has studied the relationship between economics and happiness, noted:
>"psychological studies show that increasing the range of product choice
>becomes
>costly to buyers at a fairly early stage: they find it harder to make
>decisions
>when faced with many alternatives, take longer to reach their decisions,
>and are
>more likely to later regret their decisions" (Helliwell 2002, p. 34)....
>Think of the
>intense study required to select the best HMO plan.

Yes, or the intense study required to select the best PC, phone plan, mutual fund, etc. at the best price -- pure agony. The fog of battle is nothing compared to the fog of the marketplace, where systematic misrepresentations due to marketing and advertising make it almost impossible to make apples-to-apples comparisons on major purchases.

The fact is that decision-making of any sort is a wearying activity. As I recall, the agony of decision-making was a recurrent theme in the novels of John Barth (Lost in the Funhouse, The Sot-Weed Factor, etc.). And the choices you're called on to make as a consumer pose the worst decision-making effort of all because you know your choice is almost always based on bogus information. Caveat effing emptor.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Find things fast with the new MSN Toolbar – includes FREE pop-up blocking! http://clk.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200414ave/direct/01/