[lbo-talk] For Avon, China Is a Beauty

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Fri Mar 12 15:57:00 PST 2004

BusinessWeek online

JANUARY 12, 2004 .

NEWSMAKER Q&A

For Avon, China Is a Beauty

President Susan Kropf explains why the cosmetics giant sees big opportunity there -- even though door-to-door selling is still banned

Avon Products (AVP ) has long derived the lion's share of its sales outside the U.S. About 62% of its $6.2 billion of 2002 revenues came from international markets. Even though China's portion of an expected $7 billion in 2003 revenues is expected to be only about $150 million, the Middle Kingdom is the cosmetics giant's most promising market. Avon is investing heavily to build its presence there, its $40 million factory in Southern China is a big success, and it has even begun exporting some goods made there to Southeast Asian markets.

President and Chief Operating Officer Susan J. Kropf recently talked with BusinessWeek Senior Writer Nanette Byrnes about Avon's hopes for growth in China -- including the possibility that direct selling may be allowed again as early as 2005. The door-to-door style Avon uses around the world is now banned in China, but that hasn't stopped the New York-based company from finding other ways to sell skin cream and lipstick to millions of Chinese women. Here are edited excerpts from their conversation:

Q: How important is China to Avon?