[lbo-talk] life in Camp X-Ray (1)

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Mar 14 18:09:38 PST 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Brad DeLong wrote:

> >Jamal said: "I knew of this happening about 10 times. It always seemed
> >to be those who were very young or known to be particularly religious
> >who would be taken away...
>
> Why do these ex-captives hate and fear women so much?

I don't think that's that hard to explain. If they were very young and religious and nabbed in Afghanistan, they were presumably educated in an extremist Deobandist or Wahabi madrassa. This means that from during puberty they were not only filled with extreme dread of the corrupting power of sex at the same time that their hormones were tellng them something else (which has led to odd reactions among teenage puritans in the Christian tradition as well); but also that by the time they set foot in Camp X-Ray they had almost literally never seen a woman in their life, never mind interacted. It's not to see how a naked leering whore might set them off.

Michael