[lbo-talk] one in nine Americans have seen The Passion

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Mar 14 19:14:33 PST 2004

Jon Johanning wrote:

> How could we guess how many of these folks who said they "might" see the
> movie actually will? I would say, very few.

Especially given that the demographic we are talking about includes people who rarely go to movies. If they haven't seen the movie by now, the odds are that they won't plunk down $7 to see it.

I'm not going to see it because I have no interest in seeing the biblical version of Reservoir Dogs meets REM videos.

On a related note, I'd like to pick everybody's brain about a strategy of organizing the left against the right wing media. I just glanced at the TV downstairs and saw David Horowitz's ugly face smiling out from the Dennis Miller show. Last night I spent some time listening to Michael Savage and Bill O'Reilly. Hate radio is a kind way of describing Savage, who was spouting off fantasies about executing peace activists. I'll just say that if some anarchists meet Savage in a dark alley one night, we will provide him with a new meaning of the word "beatnik".

I've stated before that the left needs to go after the right wing with our own brand of mudslinging. But what other avenues should we look into? Should we go after stations that broadcast crap like Savage? Should we draft Howard Stern to engage in more political activism against the FCC and the religious right? More pirate radio? Cultivate more of our own talent?

Does anybody know how one goes about setting up a station for satellite radio?

This e-mail kills fascists,

Chuck0