[lbo-talk] what makes Ralph run?

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 15 10:12:11 PST 2004

http://www.counterpunch.org/notears.html

Ralph's Favorite Books

Here's some news for that dwindling and beleagured minority of the populace who readbooks: George Bush and Al Gore both asserted in the campaign their favorite book to be the Bible. Bush also confessed to having read a biography of Dean Acheson. Absent evidence that he's read anything else, we can put that down as W's number two pick as favorite book. Gore put Stendhal's Le Rouge et Le Noir in second place. Early in October we asked Nader for his two top favorites and back came the answer "Alfred North Whitehead's The Aims of Education and Harmony Ideology, by Laura Nader. We must confess we've never read Whitehead's book, but we do know the one by Ralph's sister. It's an attack on the notion of "coercive harmony", which Laura Nader, a professor of anthropology at UC Berkeley once defined as "basically a movement against the contentious in anything, and it has very strange bedfellows, from people with various psychiatric therapy movements, Christian fundamentalists, corporations sick of paying lawyers, activists who believe we should love each other We are talking about coercive harmony ­ an ideology that says if you disagree, you should really keep your mouth shut."

So if you want to understand what makes Nader run and why the shrieks of the Democrats don't faze him, read his sister's (the real Dr Laura) book.

_________________________________________________________________ Fast. Reliable. Get MSN 9 Dial-up - 3 months for the price of 1! (Limited-time Offer) http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/