[lbo-talk] Enrique

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 15 10:41:09 PST 2004

Doug Henwood writes:

> It's the same party as Felipe Gonzalez, no? In an
> interview with Forbes in 1992, Milton Friedman more
> or less endorsed Clinton, pointing in part to the way
> the "left" parties in Europe had been more
> enthusiastic marketizers than the right, with Gonzalez
> as a prime example.

It's my understanding that the Spanish center-left was into breaking up a lot of the paternalistic fascist-style enterprises that had been left over from Franco. This got them applause from international finance capital, though it put them at war with the more local and state-led forms of capital accumulation that had been fostered during the Franco era. I don't know much about the situation, so I'm simplifying a great deal.

In any case, though, yes -- these election results are great news for the way they show popular resentment of the war. I have my doubts about whether the new government will pull Spain out of the "coalition," of course.

- - - - - John Lacny

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!