[lbo-talk] El Salvador Elections emergency

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 15 13:33:23 PST 2004

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 12:40:02 -0800 From: Gar Lipow <GarLipow at comcast.net>

Just a followup to my previous note on the jailed election observers in El Salvador; they have all been released. A new batch of observers is coming tomorrow, so we have to hope they don't face the same sort of harrassment. In general phone calls to the U.S. Embassy still would not hurt - thanking them for seeing that none of the observers was killed, or disappeared, or tortured or detain permanently or deported, and continuing to emphasize that if this upcoming election is not conducted fairly and with at least minimal respect for human rights that most people paying attention will know that the U.S. could have prevented it.

Again more info at CISPES http://www.cispes.org/