[lbo-talk] Re: The Importance of Choice (was self/variety)

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Mon Mar 15 14:01:20 PST 2004

So people do have selves.

Meanwhile, your claim below is not self-evident. There are different kinds of individualism, if you define that as being the belief that the individual is the fundamental unit of meaning. I do assert that, but I also assert that mature and wise individualism appreciates the deep, inescapable constraints upon individuality and the interconnectness of all life.

Personally despite your religious claim below, I believe that mature individualism and attention to mature self-interest is the only decent and possible way forward in this world, whateevr one may think and hope about the next one. Every Buddhist monk who resists injustice does so on the basis of self-consultation. If all people obtained mature self-interest, they would greatly reduce social inequality and greatly increase concern and action to protect and improve the natural and social basis for human life's continuation.

That's my argument and my faith. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.