[lbo-talk] Re: The Importance of Choice

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 16 10:22:29 PST 2004

Michael Dawson -PSU wrote:

>Carrol Cox:
>wherever and
>> whenever we find "ourselves," we are always already involved in action,
>> i.e., in an ensemble of social relations apart from which we have no
>> existence at all....
>> I very much doubt that any of the primates can be individuals, and the
>> concept of a human being an individual is obscene
>
>These two claims require no response. They reveal the quality of mind of
>their author, who defines virtually everybody alive on today's Earth as a
>practicer of obscenity.
>
>Carrol = Louis Althusser who writes better and is more honest.

Yoshie got annoyed when I suggested this sort of thing is a depressive symptom, but the more I think about it, the more persuasive it seems. Depressives are haunted by feelings of guilt and/or emptiness, feel that taking action is hopeless, and often advertise their sense of helplessness and self-reproach at high volume. What I see here is that depressive constellation masquerading as a political philosophy.

Doug