[lbo-talk] Newsnight special: Iraq one year on

Simon Huxtable jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 17 03:25:15 PST 2004

Last night the BBC's Newsnight had a special programme about Iraq with a distinguished panel, composed, from what I saw (the last 20 minutes) mostly of idiots. Attitudes towards the Haiti intervention were highly depressing. Most of all, the opinions of most of the panellists appeared to be knee-jerk reactions that have ossified into what purported to be 'informed' comment. Anyway, until tonight, you can watch it at: <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/3513850.stm>

Simon

Here's the blurb: One year ago this week, the bombs began falling on Baghdad. Within weeks the Iraqi capital had fallen, and Saddam Hussein had been deposed.

In a special programme 16 March at 2100GMT on BBC Two, we reassessed the past year. The International Development Secretary, Hilary Benn, faced a panel of sceptical voters, chosen from the group who confronted the Prime Minster on a Newsnight Special just weeks before the war broke out. Some have become pro-war, but most retain strong objections to the conflict, and fears for what it will mean for the future. [...] Finally we looked to the future with a distinguished cast of thinkers and politicians, including Professor Francis Fukuyama, author of "The End of History", whose theory on the triumph of liberal capitalism over all other ideologies caused a storm when it was published nearly fifteen years ago, Robert Cooper, now a diplomat and foreign affairs advisor to the European Union but reputed to be a great inspiration to Tony Blair, and the Egyptian novelist and Booker Prize nominee, Ahdaf Soueif.

___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html