[lbo-talk] The Importance of Choice

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 17 03:50:18 PST 2004

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com, Tue Mar 16 16:30:44 PST 2004 <snip>
>Yoshie wrote:
>
>>Let's say, for the sake of an argument, that the opinion of a
>>person who philosophically discounts "a very Eden of the innate
>>rights of man," where "alone rule Freedom, Equality, Property and
>>Bentham" (at
>><http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/ch06.htm>), is
>>a symptom of clinical depression, rather than a piece of political
>>philosophy. In that case, it is a biologically determinist
>>argument against thinking of an individual as an uncaused cause,
>>which deflates "the Importance of Choice" in the subject line.
>
>This doesn't follow. There are degrees of rational
>self-determination. Kleinian psychoanalysis associates these with
>degrees of ego strength and integration. The weaker and less
>integrated the ego, the more likely it is that it will not
>experience itself as self-determined, that it will not experience
>its experience as the experience of anything real, and that it will
>experience itself and the world as fragmented into externally
>related bits.

Does Kleninian psychoanalysis say that individuals _choose_ to have "weaker and less integrated egos" and therefore become clinically depressed? If so, I wouldn't recommend it to the clinically depressed seeking treatments.

At 20, John Stuart Mill, the foremost philosopher of individual liberty, also suffered from a breakdown: <http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/bios/Mill.html>.

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za, Tue Mar 16 23:50:37 PST 2004
>>Yoshie got annoyed when I suggested this sort of thing is a
>>depressive symptom, but the more I think about it, the more
>>persuasive it seems. Depressives are haunted by feelings of guilt
>>and/or emptiness, feel that taking action is hopeless, and often
>>advertise their sense of helplessness and self-reproach at high
>>volume. What I see here is that depressive constellation
>>masquerading as a political philosophy.
>>Doug
>
>Doug this is quite apparent, and therefore the comparison with
>Althusser all the more apt. The pathological nature of the leftist
>thinker

Persons whose politics and philosophy are different from yours = "pathological" individuals? What are the implications of such an equation for liberty? -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>