[lbo-talk] Amy not-so-good

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 18 12:56:01 PST 2004

Today's DN! was really another instance in Amy Goodman's continuing role as a witting or unwitting propagandist for the establishment metanarrative of the 'war on terror'. I tend to think Amy has made a conscious decision to take an approach that focuses on the less critical issues that 'question' the Bush agenda without really getting into the deeper contradictions - that go to the heart of the very clear crisis that the American Republic and the world faces in terms of the criminalization of the state. There has also developed over the last 2-3 years a heirarchy of conspiratorial views' where some conspiratorial views are more equal than others. According to this heirarchy, it is permissible to talk about the conspiracy between the Bush and Bin Laden families, and the (alleged) audacious spiriting out of the bin Laden family from the US shortly after 9-11 when all planes were grounded and conclude that this just shows 'what good friends they were'. But not to wonder about whether this obstruction of justice was perhaps evidence of complicity between elements of the Saudi intelligence networks and the Bush controlled US intelligence networks and whehter this fact makes palpably clear the hypocirsy of the war on terror - the premise of which Amy Goodman fails to interrogate!

It is to me very sad to watch Amy's able mind be hobbled by her fealty to the Bush metanarrative. So here we have Amy making the statment today that 'if you took a poll, most Americans would think that Sadaam was behind 9-11, when in fact (according to Amy) it was Saudi Arabia through the bin Laden connection. I think there may be Americans who believe this, indeed there have been polls (if you believe them) that show that Americans think Sadaam was involved in 9-11. But at the same time, anybody who has been readign any news reports on 9-11 clearly knows that the supposed Saudi connection has been made very clear - so it is not a matter of people believing one of the other, but a matter of the narrative being completely incoherent and easily manipulable depending on the imperatives of the US govt. For whatever reason, Amy has decided to accept the notion that Bin Laden and the Saudis and Al Qaeda were responsible for 9-11 and there is fundamental legitimacy in the war on terror. Thus, all her reportage simply complements or quibbles with this narrative but does not fudamentally challenge it.

Also, if you go to Amazon, you will discover that people who bought Carl Unger's book also bought books by Kevin Phillips, and Kerry/Clinton-boosters Joe Conason and David Corn. Which goes some way toward explaining the inexplicably silly statement made by either Juan Gonzalez or Carl Unger that Clinton had in fact fought the good fight against terrorism and his efforts were hampered by the impeachment proceedings and his valiant efforts to bomb Sudan and Afghanistan were 'unfairly ridiculed'. Amy and Juan themsleves, in their apparent zeal to boost both Bush's war on terror and boost the Democrats in 2004 seem to have forgotten that even they reported on the cynical foolishness of Clinton's bombing of Afghanistan and Sudan. To make matters worse, Juan Gonzalez even felt it necessary to point out how the attorney representing the Sudanese government against the US govt. was a Bush associate - as though this changes the fact that the attack by Clinton was cruel and cynical.

I think today's program was another defining moment in progressive discourse and a depressing one at that. I really hope that Amy Goodman and the staff at DN! and progressives in general can begin to take a more intellectually honest approach to this and related issues. We all owe to ourselves. It is significant that former naysayers or nothingsayers about US government complicity in 9-11, including Howard Zinn, Richard Falk have expressed their concern about the issue at least in their (respectively blurb and intro) to David Ray Griffin's superb new book

http://www.interlinkbooks.com/New_Pearl_Harbor.html

_________________________________________________________________ Get tax tips, tools and access to IRS forms – all in one place at MSN Money! http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/home.asp