[lbo-talk] Doug Henwood's Critique of Gary Null

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Thu Mar 18 18:35:03 PST 2004

>Another thing to note is the extent to which good scientific procedure
>is distorted by capitalism in the development of drugs: there is a
>lengthy, rigorous trial process drugs are supposed to go through, and
>some (I'm not sure what percentage) are in fact put through it, but
>others, as is well known, are not, presumably to up the profits of the
>company in question, leading to embarassingly high adverse event rates
>after they are put on the market. In a capitalist society, there is
>always a tug-of-war between science and profit.

Public Citizen's Health Research Group, which does a great service with their Worst Pills/Best Pills book and website, promotes a 5-year rule--don't take any medicine that hasn't been on the market for at least 5 years, since many drugs are withdrawn because of adverse effects in the first 5 years or found to have unforeseen side effects and interactions which the FDA may eventually force them to make public. For example, two friends of mine were recently put on a new birth control pill, Yasmin, which has no advantage over the dozens of other birth control pills on the market but did earn a "Do Not Take" designation from Public Citizen due to alarming cases of blood clots among women, some of whom had been taking it only a few weeks. Another example of that innovation we're always hearing capitalism is so good for.

Jenny Brown