[lbo-talk] Null and Void

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Mar 19 03:56:45 PST 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:21:39 -0600 John Thornton <jthorn65 at mchsi.com> writes:
> You might want to reserve your judgement about fluoride until you
> read more
> about it. It's use is controversial for a good reason regardless of
> how
> many kooks latch onto anti-fluoride brigades for reasons known only
> them. Almost all the evidence I've seen about fluoride says it must
> be
> absorbed directly through the surface of the tooth rather than being
>
> ingested.

Please note that the benefits of fluoridated water are intended mainly for children whose teeth are still forming. They are supposed to benefit from the direct ingestion of fluoride which is transmitted through the bloodstream to developing teeth where it becomes built into the enamel structures of those teeth, thereby making them more resistant to acids.

>That's why fluoride toothpaste is a good idea but
> fluoridated
> water, perhaps not. When you visit the dentist he puts fluoride
> treatments
> directly on the surface of your tooth so it can be absorbed. He
> doesn't
> give you fluoride supplements to take home with you.

Well, I remember as a child having to take fluoride pills in my hot chocalate because we didn't have flouridated water at that time.