[lbo-talk] Doug Henwood's Critique of Gary Null

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Mar 19 05:53:10 PST 2004

Carrol:
> SSRIs can _bring on_ manic episodes. That's how some bipolar patients
> first learn they are bipolar; they are prescribed an SSRI and it sends
> them into a loop. In fact it is difficult to treat bipolar 'lows'
> without setting off bipolar 'highs.'

So what's your suggestion? Revert to witchcraft and psychoanalysis?

By the same logic - planes, trains and cars can crash. Should we then walk or ride horse buggies?

BTW. SSRIs or other antidepressants are usually coupled with mood stabilizers (lithium, trileptol etc.) to prevent such "flipping."

Wojtek