[lbo-talk] Doug Henwood's Critique of Gary Null

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 19 09:41:27 PST 2004

Miles Jackson wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
> > Carrol:
> > > SSRIs can _bring on_ manic episodes. That's how some bipolar patients
> > > first learn they are bipolar; they are prescribed an SSRI and it sends
> > > them into a loop. In fact it is difficult to treat bipolar 'lows'
> > > without setting off bipolar 'highs.'
> >
> > So what's your suggestion? Revert to witchcraft and psychoanalysis?
> >

> I don't understand Woj's antipathy to psychotherapy.

More puzzling to me is the apparent assumption (not confined to Wojtek) that from someone's casual observation of an empirical fact, one can derive that person's whole world view! In the particular instance, why in the hell should I (not being a psychologist, psychiatrist, neuropsychiatrist, clinical psychologist, or neurologist) come up with the final answer of how to treat mental illness? Weird.

Carrol